Both our practise and team of dentists are equipped with the knowledge and advanced technical know-how, to care for your teeth and gums. When we give you a diagnosis, we discuss every aspect of the proposed treatment plan, explaining any available alternatives.
14-Point Oral Health Examination
We automatically carry out a full examination on each of our patients. The results don't just reveal the state of your mouth, but are also an indicator of your overall health.
- General Facial Appearance
- Fillings, Crowns, Bridges, other Prostheses
- Gums Health Measurements
- Plaque Levels
- Jaw & Joints
- Muscles of Mastication (Chewing Muscles)
- Low Dose Digital X-ray's (If needed) - with full report of findings
- Moulds of Teeth if needed, to monitor any tooth movement or wear.
- Affecting one in three adults, this uncomfortable condition can make brushing a fearful task and take the pleasure out of a simple ice cream, or cup of coffee.
My Dental Care will identify the cause, which could be the wearing and destruction of your teeth or gum recession, correct any abnormalities and treat problem areas. Finally, we'll help prevent the pain returning with specialist long-term tooth care that includes; brushing technique, dietary advice, plus an appropriate type of toothpaste.
- Gum Disease affects 97% of the population at some time. It's caused by a build-up of bacteria, which lives in the plaque and tartar on your teeth. The bacteria irritate your gums causing them to bleed. It is actually gum disease, not tooth decay that is responsible for the most cases of tooth loss in adults.
There are two types of gum disease, gingivitis, is the first stage of the disease process were the inflammed gums start to feel sore and bleed on brushing. It is a completely reversible condition, which is easily treated by a visit to the dentist or hygeinist.
If the plaque and bacteria are left on the teeth for a long period, that is when the disease progresses onto the more severe and irreversible Periodontitis, this is when the gum itself starts to lift away from the tooth. As the bone that holds the teeth in place is gradually resorbed teeth can become loose, and may eventually be lost.
Our dentist's or hygienist will measure the levels of bacteria in your mouth and then clean, de-scale and apply the appropriate treatments to kill off the disease. With regular visits, we subsequently keep disease at bay. Prevention is the key.
Root Canal Treatment
- Also called endodontics, is a dental process that's carried out when the blood or nerve supply of the tooth (known as the pulp) is infected through decay or injury. Left untreated, this may spread through the root canal system of the tooth and eventually lead to an abscess. If infection spreads even further, the tooth may need to be taken out.
The aim of treatment is to remove all infection from the root canal. It is a skilled and time-consuming procedure, involving at least two visits to your dentist. At the first appointment, the infected pulp is removed. Any abscesses, which may be present, can also be drained at this time. The root canal is then cleaned and shaped ready for the filling. A temporary filling is put in to prevent further infection, and the tooth is left to settle. A local anaesthetic is used and it should feel no different to having an ordinary filling done.
The tooth is checked at a later visit and when all the infection has cleared, it is permanently filled. We may advise restoring the tooth with a crown to provide extra support and strength.
- Can save your smile. These natural looking porcelain
'caps' are used to reshape and restore decayed, fractured or broken teeth. Crowns may be metal, porcelain bonded or All-porcelain ceramic (see Procera under cosmetic dentistry), and Bridges - which is a replacement tooth or teeth attached to adjacent teeth.
- Are essential for those playing high-risk sports, and for the treatment of jaw and muscular dysfunction. Over-the-counter guards do not always provide the necessary levels of protection against dental/facial injuries. The only mouthguard that should be worn is one that is custom-made from a model of the mouth. We take a mould of your teeth to produce a guard which delivers perfect fit, giving you complete comfort.
Oraqix® Needle-Free Anaesthetics
- A saviour for the needle-phobic, this new gel provides localised anaesthesia for adult patients during, scaling and deep cleaning.
- New to My Dental Care. This process of seeing the inside of your teeth exposes our patients to HALF the radiation of normal dental X-rays. The resulting images are processed almost immediately, appearing on our computer screens within seconds. Superior definition and magnification for even closer diagnosis, make it easier for our patients to see and understand what condition their teeth are in.
Fresh Breath Clinic
- Bad breath is one of life's confidence crunchers - even worse if someone else has informed you of your condition. My Dental Care's clinic of sympathetic and experienced hygienists can end this embarrassing problem by identifying the cause and removing it with Intensive Oral Hygiene Instruction. Food, drink and smoking aren't always the obvious causes. Eighty per cent of bad breath is a result of the gases given off by the bad bacteria linked to gum disease, It could also be due to damaged or leaking fillings, crowns or bridgework or bad oral hygiene.
- As the proven cause of many cancers through to an increase in gum disease, teeth discolouration and bad breath, the negative effects of smoking are well documented - but quitting is easier said than done. Our fully- trained team of smoking cessation advisors explain the dangers, help you assess whether you're finally ready to give-up and formulate a manageable plan of action which includes weekly support sessions.
- Protect your kids health and teeth by encouraging good habits early on. We offer dietary advice to all our young patients, explaining what's good, and bad for teeth, like how to watch out for those hidden sugars in every day foods.
As an added safeguard, we often recommend Fissure Sealants, once your child's adult teeth have come through - around the age of 7 to 8. This protective resin coating protects and prevents against tooth decay.